Rossen Djagalov

❍ Year of graduation: 2002
❍ Field of current or former occupation: Academia

Question: What is your current occupation and where do you live? Please briefly describe your duties and responsibilities. How long have you been at this position?

Rossen Djagalov: I am an Assistant Professor of Russian, New York University, a position that I started this semester (Fall 2015). Between starting it and graduating from Williams College (May 2002), I was an Assistant Professor of Comparative Literature at Koc University, Istanbul, a Humanities Forum post doc at the University of Pennsylvania, a lecturer of History and Literature at Harvard, a graduate student in Comparative Literature at Yale U, and a non-degree student at the Russian State University for the Humanities.

Question: Did studying Russian language and culture at Williams help you in your professional and personal development? If yes, then how were Russian Studies were useful to you? What opportunities and challenges did the Russian major open up for you both specific to your current occupation and more generally?

Rossen Djagalov: I owe my Williams professors (Julie Cassiday, Darra Goldstein) the questions and passions that brought me to Russian studies. It is a wonderful department that continues to educated (or attracted) some of the most interesting students at Williams.

Question: Please share your advice or recommendation about the Russian department at Williams to a prospective student who is considering taking courses or majoring in our program.

Rossen Djagalov: Go to Russia (Central Asia, the Caucasus, Eastern Europe). Spend a Winter Study in Georgia. Write a thesis.

❑ Contact

If you would like to write to Rossen Djagalov, please contact Baktygul Aliev.